Burma had been administered from India until April, 1937. After separation the country had achieved a degree of self-government though was still effectively controlled by the British through the Governor. The Government of Burma was responsible for the defence of the country and for financing the armed forces and acquiring stores and equipment from the British War Office.
The strategic significance of Burma for the defence of the region was not lost on British senior commanders and from 1937 onwards it was argued that forces in Burma should be controlled by the Commander-in Chief in India. This was not finally decided on until 11th December, 1941 by Prime Minister Churchill and the Chiefs of Staff.
The Military Before Separation
Before separation, the defence of Burma had been the responsibility of Burma District, part of India Command. Military units serving under District command were:
The units were grouped into areas:
There were also nine battalions of the Burma Military Police, a para-military force under the command of the Inspector-General of Police, Burma. Reinforcement in time of serious internal unrest was expected to come from India.
After separation from India in April 1937, responsibility for the defence of Burma lay with the Government of Burma. The Burma Army (Burma Army Command, Burma Command or Army in Burma) became a small, independent military command formed by the transfer of units from the Indian Army. The headquarters was very small for the size of the forces under command, being no larger than a second class district headquarters in India. The first commander of Burma Army was Major General DK McLeod.
The separation resulted in the transfer of The Burma Rifles, the retention of the two British regular battalions (for internal security) and the temporary retention of Indian Army units. It was intended that the Indian Army units would ultimately be withdrawn.
The two Indian Army infantry battalions soon left but the mountain battery (the 2nd) and company of engineers (13th Field Company, Madras Sappers and Miners) remained. On formation of the 1st Field Company, Burma Sappers and Miners, the Indian company was also withdrawn in early 1940.
An embryonic Burma Army Signals Unit was authorised in early 1939 but was to take a long time to reach full operational size and efficiency.
Wartime Expansion 1939 - 1941
On the outbreak of war in September 1939, the formation began of Garrison Companies for carrying out specific guard duties. The men were either ex-regular soldiers or recruits who had failed to pass the entrance standards for other units. Later, the companies were formed into two administrative Garrison Battalions.
The Burma Rifles were expanded, their strength being doubled, as was the Burma Frontier Force. Recruiting for the Burma Auxiliary Force was made easier by the Governor's edict allowing all British subjects in Burma to join. Steps were taken to enlarge the pool of officers.
A light machine gun anti-aircraft battery of the Burma Auxiliary Force was disbanded when, in 1941, 1st Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, BAF, was raised. Guns for this unit did not arrive until after the start of the war with Japan.
The Maymyo Infantry Brigade Area was split into the Maymyo Infantry Brigade and Upper Burma Area. As the Japanese threat grew, the brigade moved to the southern Shan States to defend the frontier and units were later regrouped under Southern Shan Area and 1 Burma Brigade Group.
In the south, units moving in to defend Tenasserim were formed firstly into Tenasserim Brigade Area, later supplanted by 2 Burma Brigade Group.
Arrival of Reinforcements from India - 1st Burma Division
In April 1941, 13th Indian Infantry Brigade arrived in Burma and were stationed initially in Mandalay. The three brigade groups in the country were formed into 1st Burma Division in July 1941, with divisional HQ at Toungoo, under the command of Major General J Bruce Scott.
At the end of November, 16th Indian Infantry Brigade began arriving from Calcutta and was placed under direct command of Burma Army HQ. The brigade was the last reinforcement to arrive before the Japanese invasion.
The 1942 Burma Campaign
The story of the Burma Army in the 1942 campaign is told elsewhere on this web site - to begin start with Preparations for War.
Elements of the retreating Burma Army began arriving at Tamu, India during May 1942. All major elements had arrived by 19th May. The 17th Indian Division was retained at Imphal to reform with the 48th and 16th Brigades while the 63rd Brigade was centred on Kohima protecting the lines of communications and tracks from the Naga Hills. Most units of the division spent the next three months resting and refitting from the rigours of the campaign and the retreat from Burma. The 1st Burma Division, "Burdiv", and its brigades were now dispersed, later to be redesignated and organised as the 39th Indian Division. The 1st Burma Brigade became the 106th Indian Infantry Brigade in June 1942 and with 113th (formerly the 13th) Indian Infantry Brigade came under command of the 39th Division. The 2nd Burma Brigade was disbanded though returned briefly to life in October 1942.
The Headquarters Army in Burma handed over control of all formations and units on 20th May 1942 and ceased to exist as a field formation from 27th May 1942. The British and Indian elements of Burma Army immediately passed to control of the Indian Army. The 17th Indian Division and the 1st Burma Division (redesignated the 39th Indian Light Infantry Division at Shillong on 20th June 1942) were retained under the command of IV Corps. Practically all units and headquarters of the Burma Army were disbanded during May 1942.
After initial reception in India at Imphal, the majority of the personnel of the Burma Army were sent to Hoshiarpur. Burmese men not members of the ancillary units were given the option to return to their homes and many elected to do so. They were given three months pay, a rifle and 50 rounds of ammunition and allowed to go. A few were prevented from making their journeys by the rains and were re-employed in the frontier area. Those who remained behind in India were moved to Hoshiarpur, in the Punjab, North West India. In total around 10,000 Burma Army personnel were brought together at Hoshiarpur during June 1942 and all given leave before reorganisation. A serious administrative headache was posed by the Gurkha evacuees or whom a large proportion were the families of Burma Frontier Force personnel. Medical and associated units were retained for a time in Assam before moving to Hoshiarpur.
Reorganisation In India
HQ Army in Burma ceased to be in command of all
Burma Army units on 20th May 1942. However the command was reconstituted
seven days later as Headquarters Burma Army and a post of Major General approved
as commander. Major General HH Rich of the Indian Army took command of HQ
Burma Army on 9th September 1942. During June 1942, HQ Burma Army moved to
Simla, the majority of units being formed or reformed were establishing
themselves at Hoshiarpur with the Burma Auxiliary Force at
Mhow. Units were then formed or reformed during the summer and autumn of
About 400 Burmese men of the Burma Rifles were
available together with about 10,000 men from the Burma
Frontier Force, Burma Military Police and Indian other
ranks of the 7th and 8th Burma Rifles. It was estimated that after weeding,
about 7,000 of these men would be available for further duty of which 5,000 were
suitable for active service and the remainder for garrison battalion duties. Men
in other units such as medical, supply and signals were available in
Although it was expected that elements of Burma
Army were to be retained for active service, it was decided to disband HQ Burma
Corps, with effect from 15th June 1942, confirmed by CinC India to the War
Office on 18th June 1942.
The regulars of the Burma Army, all in ancilliary units including medical, supply, signal and ordnance personnel, were organised into units or dispersed under Indian command. This initial transfer was largely complete by October 1942.
More than 350 surplus officers were transferred to
the Indian Army and a further 250 or so were expected to be released to India at
a later date.
Proposed reorganisation of Burma forces included the retention of the 2nd Burma Rifles and the creation of new infantry battalions. Excluding the 7th and 8th Burma Rifles, only the 2nd Battalion Burma Rifles ended the retreat in good order as a regular unit of about 350 men. The battalion was retained and built up in strength by selection of the best Burmese men from the Burma Frontier Force units. GHQ India was anxious to include this unit in the special force brigade then being formed. The 2nd Battalion Burma Rifles came under Indian command in June 1942 and was allotted to the 77th Indian Brigade, under Wingate’s command, and moved to join the brigade at Saugor in September 1942.
The Burma Frontier Force were
to be organised on regular army lines, adopting the war establishment of Indian
infantry battalions, it being estimated that there were sufficient men for 8
infantry battalions and 2 garrison battalions with sufficient reserves to
provide replacements. It was recognised that the failings of the Burma
Frontier Force units during the recent campaign arose from both weaknesses
in the internal organisation of the battalions and the loose knit organisation
of battalions not under proper control and inspection. This organisation was
felt to be unsuitable for the envisaged future role of the battalions as regular
infantry. It was proposed the reorganise the Force into two brigades and that an
Inspector General be appointed. Men of the Burma Military
Police would be placed in the same pool as those of the Burma
Frontier Force although it was expected that most of them would be suitable
for garrison battalion duties only. Personnel of both the Burma
Frontier Force and the Burma Military Police were
almost entirely manned Gurkhas or Indians.
The new Burma Regiment began forming on 1st October 1942, with six infantry battalions, two garrison battalions, a mounted infantry battalion, a training battalion, a provost unit and reserves to provide replacements.
The 7th and 8th Battalions Burma Rifles had been
formed from Gurkha and Indian members of the Burma Frontier
Force and Military Police in 1940 to speed the
expansion of the Burma Rifles given the growing threat
of war with Japan (check). On arrival in India after the retreat the 7th
Battalion had about 300 men, mostly Gurkhas and Kumaonis formerly of the Burma
Military Police and the 8th Battalion about 400 men, Punjabi Mussalmen and
Sikhs formerly of the Burma Frontier Force. GHQ
India proposed amalgamating the two battalions and the new unit was expected to
then serve as a regular infantry battalion in an Indian division. The
Government of Burma were uncomfortable with this and preferred to see the men
returned to the Burma Frontier Force and Burma
Military Police pool. Despite an initial intention to retain the
identities of these battalions, in the end the men were formed into the 1st
Battalion, Burma Regiment.
Of the six new infantry battalions of the
Burma Regiment being formed, it was expected that only one would be ready
for active service by 1st December 1942, and then only if sufficient equipment
were made available. The readiness of the remaining battalions was dependent on
further equipment, training and stores. The class composition of each of
the battalions was intended to be consistent, based on: one company of Gurkhas;
one of Punjabi Mussalmen; one of Sikhs; one mixed; and a mixed HQ company.
The 7th Mounted Infantry and the 10th Training Battalions Burma Regiment were
forming and the initial organisation was expected to be complete by 1st October
Two brigade headquarters were formed on 1st October
1942 also, each to command three infantry battalions of the
Burma Regiment and one garrison battalion. The 2nd and
5th Burma Brigades were commanded by Lt Col JF Bowerman and Lt Col CHD
Of the Burma Auxiliary Force,
the 5th Field Battery came under command of the Indian Eastern Army, the 1st
Coast Defence Battery went to Diamond Harbour, Calcutta, the 1st Heavy
Antiaircraft Battery went to Risalpur to be equipped and the BAF Depot and
Record Office went to Mhow, together with the balance of BAF personnel.
When the Army in Burma was withdrawn to Upper Burma
following the evacuation of Lower Burma, the strengths of the Burma
Auxiliary Force units were reduced to such an extent that they were
amalgamated into one Burma Auxiliary Force infantry battalion, designated the Burma
Battalion, Burma Auxiliary Force. On arrival in India, all Burma
Auxiliary Force personnel were concentrated at Mhow and initially reorganised
into the 5th Field Battery, RA, BAF, the 1st Heavy Antiaircraft Battery, RA, BAF
and the 1st Coast Defence Battery, RA,
BAF, together with a BAF depot and record office. The batteries were
placed at the disposal of GHQ India and the 1st Coast Defence Battery moved to
Diamond Harbour, Calcutta. The other two remained at Mhow, in the process
of formation (throughout August and September 1942).
The Burma Intelligence Corps
began forming, to provide liaison personnel, interpreters and guides with
Eastern Army. In September 1942 it was envisaged that the Burma Intelligence
Corps would consist of a HQ and four platoons and was being raised by Lt Col
Phipps (ex Burma Police). Each platoon was to have a CO and eight Liaison
Officers with a British section (mostly Anglo-Burman) and an Indian section
(Indian who spoke a Burmese language) and an indigenous section of Burmans,
Karens and others. The large number of officers was allowed for so that they
were available for detachment to formations and units throughout Eastern Army.
The Chin Hills Battalion continued to operate in
the Chin Hills, under the command of IV Corps, and it was proposed the battalion
should be reorganised along the lines of the Assam Rifles. It was proposed to
form a Chin Hills Area to administer this battalion and the Chin Hills Levies.
When Burma Army reached India, a number of Chin soldiers, from both the Burma
Rifles and the Burma Frontier Force, were given three
months pay in Manipur and allowed to go home on leave. Others had been told to
go home at various stages during the withdrawal but without any pay. Others
deserted. There were concerns that these men, still armed, were presenting a
problem in the Chin Hills. There was also dissatisfaction from the widows of
Chin soldiers killed in the fighting and from the families of Chins still
serving who had not received their pensions or family allotments. To remedy this
situation, in August 1942, Major Mackay of the Burma Rifles was sent into hills
with three Chin officers and plenty of funds with orders to settle all accounts
with the Chins and a few Lushais. Instructions were sent to the Hills that it
was Government policy that all men were to be treated as on leave unless there
was clear evidence of desertion, that they were to be recruited to fill
vacancies in the Chin Hills Battalion or the Chin Levies or to be given work as
pioneers on local road construction. Major Mackay was also proposed as the new
CO for the Chin Hills Battalion, in place of Lt Col Moore who had been forced to
leave the Hills due to sickness
A detachment of The Kokine Battalion had been
evacuated from Rangoon to India in Feb/March 1942, together with the 7th
Mobile Detachment, Burma Frontier Force (BFF 7?). These detachments
were amalgamated into the Kokine Battalion, BFF and sent to Assam to perform
garrison battalion duties. The battalion was earmarked to form the 2nd
Garrison Battalion, Burma Regiment.
The Burma Levies were also operating in the Chin
Hills area and during September 1942 proposals were developed for their revised
organisation and establishment.
Final Transfer to India
February 1943 serious proposals were prepared and discussed for the transfer of
all Burma Army formations and units to both operational and administrative
control of the Indian Army. A review of formations and units still under Burma
Army command concluded:
March 1943 it was becoming clear that the eventual role of Burma Army would most
likely be to achieve and maintain internal order and security following the
re-conquest of Burma and the restoration of the Government of Burma. Regardless
of the future, it was clear that the units should be available to support the
Burma Campaign from the Indian side of the border, initially, and later into
also focused on the actual deployment of the units - whether this should be
"in Burma", for "the Burma campaign" or for eventual
deployment elsewhere in South East Asia. These discussions also considered at
what point the units might be handed back to the Government of Burma and whether
this might be appropriate following a partial liberation of Burma or following
January 1943 the value of the Burma Intelligence Corps had
been recognised by the GHQ Eastern Army and a request received to form and
additional two platoons, with the possibility of two further platoons being
required shortly thereafter. Given
the requirement that all personnel must be capable of speaking at least one
other language (either English or Hindustani) in addition to their own Burmese
tongue, the only source for personnel were the 5th Field
Battery and the 1st Heavy Antiaircraft Battery of the Burma Auxiliary Force,
then based at Mhow.
Burma Regiment was reorganised into 4 infantry battalions with effect from
1st July 1943. Companies of the regiment which had moved into the FS Area were
held by 10th Battalion Burma Regiment, which with effect from 1st July 1943 was
converted into the Burma Regimental Centre
06 February, 2012